Today, we’re talking about how to train ourselves to “win” at the goals we set. God wants us to have full lives and to do good things. Sometimes, that means we have to train ourselves — or practice discipline.
Watch this video, then talk about it.
What are some ways we can train ourselves, or discipline ourselves?
The Bible actually talks about training and winning. A guy named Paul said, “In a race all the runners run. But only one gets the prize. You know that, don’t you? So run in a way that will get you the prize” (1 Cor 9:24). Talk about the following together:
- What’s the last thing you had to train for? Whether it was potty training or learning to drive, it probably wasn’t very easy the first time you tried it.
- Was it easy or hard to keep training?
- Think about the first time you tried praying, or talking to God. Was that easy or hard?
- What other things can we do to train ourselves to be more like Jesus? Examples: Jesus served other people. He talked to God every day. He told lots of people about God. He fed people who were hungry.
- Do you think it’s easy or hard to be like Jesus? Why or why not? Listen to what your kid says, and then pray together. Ask God to help you both to train to be more like Jesus.
Parents, want more tips?
Text “Parent” to 970-00 to get a weekly “booster shot” of tips and encouragement.