BEANS AND RICE WEEK IS BACK!
Beginning March 5-6, Crossroads is, once again, saving cash by eating beans and rice (and this year, drinking only water). The money we save will go to organizations who are changing the world. You can find out more details, like where the money will go, how to give and even some tasty recipes by clicking HERE.
KID-FRIENDLY IDEAS FOR BEANS AND RICE WEEK
Beans and Rice Week is a great way to invite your kids to save money to give, too. But since kids may need more nutrition than just beans and rice, here are a few alternative ways you can participate as a family:
- Help your kids pack a lunch for school and stash their lunch money.
- Have your kids eat beans and rice with you, but supplement their meals with other foods as needed.
- If you usually have a night out as a family, stay in and make dinner together.
- Get a movie at the library instead of renting one.
- When kids ask you for something at the grocery store, see if they want to give that money instead.
- Suggest that your kids give away their allowance this week.
- Instead of paying for a family outing, go to a park or play a game at home.
- Choose one food your family could give up this week, like milk, soda or cookies.
TALK ABOUT IT TOGETHER
For ideas about how to talk more about why we’re giving up our normal meals (or something else) this week, check out THIS cool blog post (written by a Crossroads family!) with a lesson for kids about saving and giving. Then talk about where the money is going by exploring the links provided at Crossroads.net/beansandriceweek.
SHARE YOUR FAMILY’S EXPERIENCE
You can also find out how to share your experience using #beansandriceweek at Crossroads.net/beansandriceweek. And don’t forget to tag it #wearekidsclub!